Saturday, May 2, 2009

Pause...For a Blessing in my Stormy Weekend

A Blessing in the Storm…MD messed up my life and made me whole by Lori Laws has been on my mind to read for quite some time. The moment I saw it had been published as an e-book, I purchased it. Life got in the way, though, and I had not been able to get past the title page.

This weekend, a stormy weekend oddly enough, I had some down time and was determined that this would be my opportunity to start it. Start it? I couldn’t put it down (yes, I printed it out). I finished it. It’s that gripping.

Lori’s memoir, underneath the surface, is not really about her struggle with Muscular Dystrophy, though it is the catalyst for every message in it. It’s mostly about her plight spiritually. She writes in her introduction: “This book is for anyone who is suffering with anything.” I whole-heartedly agree.


Ever wrestled with pride? Self-righteousness? Unbelief? Vanity? 

Have you ever enjoyed a destructive lifestyle?

Do you suffer with chronic pain of any kind, whether it be physical or emotional?

Do you have guilt or dysfunction from your past that clutters your heart and mind?

Have you given in to your circumstances or allowed them to identify you?

Are you convinced that God doesn’t listen or doesn’t know what He’s doing?

Do you have a hope unfulfilled? 


If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then Lori’s e-book will encourage you more than you could ever imagine. The instant I read the foreword written by Lori’s husband, I knew that this would not be a book of pat answers for someone struggling with disease. Rather an authentic testimony of hope found amidst the struggle.

And Hope is the paper this story was written on…

Lori is genuine, honest, purposeful and direct with her memoir. It’s filled with day-to-day stories and experiences that have carved her into a beautiful woman of God, one who is still learning how to lean and showing others how to do so right alongside her. Lori writes, “Remember that nothing ahead of you is bigger or stronger than the power of God behind you.” That God-power is what has made her God-strong even with a disease that has the potential to leave her feeling powerless and weak.

My insights on Lori’s testimony and message cannot do them justice. I encourage you to see what God has in it for you. Even if you are not a believer in the God of all hope and comfort, I encourage you to read her story. If you are someone who thinks you have it all together, there could be a jewel in it for you too. If you find yourself not knowing what to say to a friend who is struggling, or if you are a spouse or relative to someone with chronic pain or illness, Lori’s book has the potential to lead your heart to greater insight and perspective regarding these relationships.

Though a Kleenex or two is needed along the way, she will lead you to a place of Hope if you are willing to stop there. She will show you the place where, in her words, “God saw me, and in His great mercy saved me and brought the sweetest peace.”

Click here to purchase or find out more about A Blessing in the Storm. Lori gives 20 percent of the proceeds to her local crisis pregnancy center.


11 friends shared a comment:

Denise said...

Wow, that book sounds very awesome sweetie.

Dee Yoder said...

I agree, it sounds awesome! I'll have to add it to my growing list of books I WANT to purchase and read. Thanks for spot-lighting this one!

Joanne Sher said...

Ohhh sounds VERY good. Gonna have to get it!

TRUTH SHARER said...

Sounds like a whole lot of God's MERCY to me!

Choosing JOY,
Stephanie
[JESUS - the One I Worship]

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Thanks for sharing your insight into this book. I'm not a huge reader, so to have a recommendation about a worthy "read" is a big help. I'm heading over there now to check things out.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

peace~elaine

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

PS: I clicked on the link for the book; it wouldn't take me anywhere.

LauraLee Shaw said...

Thanks, Elaine, I fixed the link. :D

Alleluiabelle said...

This book sounds like a definite read. I, too, will have to check it out.

Thanks for sharing about it here.

Blessings,
Alleluiabelle

Peggy said...

Blessings Laura Lee,

What a great review of a book to inspire us! How appropriate the title and that you had a "stormy" weekend to curl up & read it beginning to end! So what's an ebook? I know ...I'm a bit behind times...that's what happens when you choose to go to another country.

I made the trip home after some time here and everyone was walking around with phones yet I could not find a public phone booth any longer, what's with that? Help me out here Lalee!

Glad you had a good read & could share it so vividly to capture the readers.

Tracy said...

I too, loved her book. She has turned into an amazing woman of God, who is such an encouragement to so many. Great review!

Mary said...

What a great review!!!

I too read Lori’s book and it touched my heart immensely!

I printed it and couldn’t put it down. In fact, I didn’t put it down til’ the end.

I’ve been so inspired by Lori’s E-book, I’m buying it for five friends as Mother’s Day presents.

I’m convinced this is the perfect Mother’s Day gift, especially for those friends who are far.

I’m certain their lives will be touched and they too will be inspired, as I have been.

Thank you for sharing Laura Lee.

God Bless You,

Mary.