Thursday, February 11, 2010

Be His, A Valentine's Day Devotional

Photobucket

I’ll never forget receiving the candy hearts on Valentine’s Day when I was in middle school. You know, the ones that taste like Pepto-Bismol? My friends and I would tear open our itty bitty envelopes (if we got any) to see which hearts someone put inside with the generic card. Reading into every phrase, we fantasized of that special someone spending tireless efforts to make sure he delivered the perfect message and emotion to each of us. It was dreamy.

It didn’t take me too many years to realize that the boys’ mamas probably just threw them in an envelope for them, OR worst case scenario, picked out the girl SHE wanted for him to like via pepto-heart-a-grams. So much for dreamy.

The reality of the analogy the Lord laid on my heart was not so dreamy either. He has written His message on my heart. It is forever inscribed and perfectly perfect, which is a beautiful truth. But when others look at my heart, so often I have covered up His words with my own unintentional messages.

Sometimes my heart begs, “Be mine,” when it really should cry out, “Be His.” Often it shouts out, “Love me,” when God begs me to “Love them” or “Love Him” instead. The mixed messages my heart delivers to others can leave them with mixed feelings about the heart of God.

Luke 6:45b says, “…for out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.” It’s saying that the ‘stuff’ we stuff into our minds gets stored in the treasury of our hearts, and eventually it begins to flow out of the heart via tunnel of the mouth. Then it is spread to others, and “round and round it goes, where it stops…?”

When I complain frequently, I have probably listened to a bunch of complaints. As I throw out a zinger in the name of humor, I realize I've maybe seen a few too many sit-coms. During those moments of pouring out flattery to others, could it be that I have enjoyed the empty, false praise that I have indeed received myself? What ‘line’ do others see displayed on the tablet of your life?

All the static this world has to offer us can cloud the message he has carved on our hearts:

Hebrews 8:10b
“I will put my laws in their minds,
and I will write them on their hearts.
I will be their God, and they will be my people.”

Do you see His Valentine’s message for us?

♥BE MINE♥

Make HIM our True Love. Let’s not mix His message with overflow from the world’s waste. Instead, let’s spread His Word, the Word that He has written front and center in bold letters on our hearts—the Word that we have fallen in love with so that we could keep from sin and love others God’s way.

Sometimes we only need to be reminded, friends. I know I do. The way we spend our time matters. The people we allow to rub off on us are important. The shows we watch and the websites we visit and the novels we read—it has an affect on us. Pray about it, allow the Lord to lead and guide you into the perfect balance of freedom and works. It is then, and only then that our hearts—the new ones He gave us when we became a Christian—will show the world that we are His.
Psalm 86:11
“Teach me YOUR way, O LORD, and I will walk in Your Truth;
give me an undivided heart, that I may fear Your name.”


8 friends shared a comment:

Andrea said...

I am ever so thankful that our Heavenly Father is my "true" valentine.
Hugs,
andrea

PS: Sitka has an award for you at All Gods Creatures.

Unknown said...

Let my heart remain undivided for You Lord so I can have clear discernment. Let my heart remain solely Yours and not be led astray.

Sherry said...

Congrats! I am passing on my Prolific Blogger award to you because you rock! I've posted a link to your blog on mine so that people will come and see how great you are! I wish I could figure out a way to get that cute little award picture in there :( You've earned it cause you're so dang loveable. Hugs and thanks for being so encouraging!

Laury said...

This is so true. I'm so glad God has written on our hearts. We are His forever. What an awesome thought.

Sherri Ward said...

Good message. So thankful for His love and grace and patience.

Vickie said...

Thank you so much for this reminder. He just longs to have all of us all of the time.


Blessings,
Vickie

Lori Laws said...

Thanks for that reminder. It was beautifully written! Blessings!

Carrie Cooper said...

Carrie @ comfortedbyGod.blogspot.com

What an interesting take on candy messages...very insightful! You've made me think about the message I actually send out to others. I know the one I imagine I send out, but do the two match?