Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Does it truly make a difference?

Does it truly make a difference when...

...I talk to the person at the drive-thru about the weather?
...I let a car in front of me that seems to be in a hurry?
...I listen to the grocery clerk talk about how much her back hurts?
...I hold the door open for someone else?
...I put the grocery cart in the spot it belongs?
...I refuse to talk or text on my cell phone when I'm in someone else's company?
...I take the time to tell someone thank-you?
...I get off the computer and play on the floor with my kids?
...I occasionally serve somewhere I'm needed instead of somewhere I love?
...I pray for someone's cat or neighbor or house to sale?
...I choose silence instead of a comeback or opinion?
...I applaud someone else who is in the spotlight I'd like to be in myself?
...I tell someone "You did a great job today"?
...I tell someone the truth in love?
...I examine my priorities and my choices?
...I say "you" in a conversation more than I say "I"?

What do you think makes a difference? Or not?

James 3:13-18 (NIV)
"Who is wise and understanding among you?
Let him show it by his good life,
by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.

But if you harbor bitter envy
and selfish ambition in your hearts,
do not boast about it or deny the truth.
Such 'wisdom' does not come down from heaven
but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil.
For where you have envy and selfish ambition,
there you find disorder and every evil practice.

But the wisdom that comes from heaven
is first of all pure;
then peace-loving, considerate, submissive,
full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.

Peacemakers who sow in peace
raise a harvest of righteousness."


In the Key of HE,

13 friends shared a comment:

Amico Dio said...

Oh my. I think all of that makes such a difference. So often we want to do these things but we don't. It is just like Paul said, "I don't do what I want to do and I do what I don't desire to do."

We really do have to live and love on purpose.

Thank you so much for the thought provoking post! I enjoyed pondering your thoughts.

Sunny Shell said...

Hello precious sister of mine!

First....LOVE this post! Yes, what truly makes a difference? Well, my oldest son actually wrote a prose on this topic a couple of years ago for a class writing assignment. If you want to read it, it's entitled: What Makes A Difference?

Also, guess what? I have a bloggy award I want to pass along to you! :-)

I love you sweet sister,
Sunny

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I KNOW that talking to people can change their attitude in a heartbeat.I've had cashiers that I've watched with other people not say two words to them but all I do is say something like, "I like your hair" and Wham they change from grumpy to a sweetheart just that fast and we end up talking the whole time I'm standing there. It's nice to know you are leaving the place a little bit brighter then when you leave. I am shy by nature but I do LOVE people.
Great thoughtful post my friend.
Hugs.

Tracy said...

Oh, yes! It does make a difference. I would like to think I always choose to do the kind thing, but I know I miss the mark more often than I'd like. Another great post, my friend. Blessings!

Erica said...

What a great reminder that the little things do make a big difference. Thanks!

Laurie Ann said...

LauraLee, it makes a huge difference! We are called to let our light shine before others, and it never shines so brightly as it does in the ways you mentioned...I'm so glad you shared this. Wonderful post.

Blessed Among Women said...

It definately makes a difference! Thank you for this post. Makes me get back to the basics and see it's not all about me.

Patti said...

I know that these things do make a difference. I try to always greet a store clerk by name...if they are wearing a name tag. And one day, I said, "so and so, how are you?" She looked at me, teared up, and said "I can't believe you asked me that. You're the first person that's ever asked how I am." (I find it hard to believe that no one had ever asked before) Anyhow, from then on, I realized that in a world that is so ready to criticize the cashier for the long line or just to ignore her while you talk on your cell phone, that it DOES represent Christ to them to be spoken to in a kind, caring way. I must admit that some days I may be in a funk myself and don't want to greet the cashier (sadly, sometimes I don't), but my goal is to show the love of Christ through a smile and kind words. We'll never know this side of Heaven how we've touched a hurting heart.

Additionally, at my local library there are some of the librarians that I absolutely love, while others are rather on the grumpy side. I've learned to reach out to the "grumpy" ones, always calling them by name and asking how they are. You know what...they always respond and don't seem so grumpy anymore.

Blessings,
Patti

Patti said...

I forgot to say something else. About the door opening thing, I have trained my 16 year old son to open the doors for people when we go to the store (wherever there isn't an automatic door). You wouldn't believe the shock of people, especially the elderly people, by this little act. I think people have gotten so used to rudeness and self-centeredness, that they are totally amazed at someone who shows them some respect and kindness.

Betsy Markman said...

I love what George H. Morrison says about this (He was a great Scottish preacher in the late 1800's to early 1900's). He says that when he gets to Heaven, perhaps what he hears "Well done" for won't be any of the sermons over which he toiled every day. But maybe it will be for little ministries that he wasn't even aware of doing. Kind-of neat to think about.

Joanne Sher said...

Oh, you got me, girl! Very thought-provoking, and YES, of course, these DO matter.

Tea with Tiffany said...

Yes, little things matter. And we only have today.

I say live with passion and for His glory!

Great post.

Heather said...

What a great post. We need to be reminded that all the little things in life add up to something that can make a big difference. When we are doing each little thing for God's glory, it will shine.