Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Big Fat Honkin' Truck on a One Lane Road


Right in the middle of busy Suburbia is a one-lane road (each way) that helps people get from East to West more quickly than the typical stoplight-filled streets. It will usually cut my driving time by almost half, so it has become my choice route when I need to go that way. There’s a drawback, though. Many new homes and businesses are being built along this soon-not-to-be-country road, so that means lots of big, SLLOOOOOOW construction trucks. If I get stuck behind one of these, not only have I lost my “saved” time, but I actually go into debt! Not to mention, my patience flies right out the window with the time, which is where the title of this devotional came from, adjectives barely eeking through the gritted teeth of my firm-frowned mouth.

Phew! Deep breath.

It’s also true that we as Christians are on a narrow road in this life, and It is quite the adventure a good majority of the time--bends, bumps and all. Every now and then, though, a spiritual “big, fat honkin’ truck” gets in front of us, slowing us WAY down and obstructing the view along the way (not to mention our patience sometimes ☺).

Let’s take a moment lately to think about the things that slow us down on our faith journey? What sins have us on a detour? Has suffering pulled us off to the side? Do questions or doubts have us veering to the right and then the left, trying to find the right way? Has wordly pleasure taken us “downtown”?

If the answer is “yes” to any of these questions, then let’s allow the Word of God to be a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path through the power of the Holy Spirit:

“Whether you turn to the right or the left,
your ears will hear a voice behind you saying,
'This is the way; walk in it.’”
Isaiah 30:21
He will show us the way as we are listening to Him...
“Thomas said to Him, ‘Lord, we don’t know where You are going,
so how can we know the way?’
Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life.
No one comes to the Father except through me.’”
John 14:5-6
He will be our way as we trust in Him...
“For He will command His angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;”
Psalm 91:11
He will protect us along the way as we follow Him...
“Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles,
and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith,
who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame,
and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men,
so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”
Hebrews 12:1-3
He will help us run with perseverance as we fix our eyes on Him...
“This is what the Lord says:
‘Stand at the crossroads and look;
ask for the ancient paths,
Ask where the good way is, and walk in it,
and you will find rest for your souls.’”
Jeremiah 6:16a
He will give us rest along the way as we ask direction from Him...
“Teach me Your way, O LORD, and I will walk in Your truth;
Give me an undivided heart, that I may fear Your name.
Psalm 86:11
He will teach us along the way as we are fully devoted to Him...
No matter what gets in front of us, friends, with patience, we can endure and enjoy this life! SO~~

May God give you more and more grace and peace as you grow in your knowledge of God and Jesus our Lord. By His divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a Godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know Him, the One who called us to Himself by means of His marvelous glory and excellence. And because of His glory and excellence, He has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share His divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.
2nd Peter 1:2-4

Amen.
Please come back to visit on Friday, September 11th.
I'll have a very special tribute posted that day...

12 friends shared a comment:

Fliterary said...

Wonderful blog, LauraLee! Thank you.

Runner Mom said...

What a great reminder!! I love the Is. 30 verse!! The next time I'm behind one of those big fat honkin' trucks, I'll remember that!

Hugs,
Susan

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

You wrote that title just for me didn't you my friend? LOL
You like smacking me in the head with a verbal 2 X 4 don't ya? LOL
I'm kidding. You know I love ya and this was a great post!
Hugs
Kim

Yvonne Blake said...

For the last month or so, I felt like I was behind a slow truck, keeping me from my goal. But, I learned to appreciate that "truck" because a friend reminded me that God put it there for a reason. Now, I can see that it will be turning off soon, and I will miss it.

thanks, Lalee

((hugs)) and prayers
Vonnie

Denise said...

Such a wonderful post, love you.

Joanne Sher said...

Incredible post, La. And yes, I have SO been there. Great stuff.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

As of late (I'm not kidding) the big fat honkin' truck of faith has been kicking me from all sides. (by the way, I thought I was the only one that said honkin'). Anyway, faith is the topic of my new writing project; have even written reflections on Hebrews 12:3 and Jeremiah 6:16 thus far.

I don't have the option at the point of turning to the right/left where faith is concerned because every time I try, there's another quote/blogger/song out there reminding to keep on track!

So glad for your win, friend. Keep to the road of faith.

peace~elaine

Dana said...

Constantly having to view the back of that big honkin' truck can get really old & wearisome,but the verses you posted are exactly the ones that keep things in perspective for me. He is slowing me down for a reason & glorifying him while looking down the tailpipe of a big honkin' truck reaps blessings unimaginable!
Thanks for your encouragement!

Unknown said...

Thanks for bringing me back to the "cross" and how I need to demonstrate more patience while living in my temporary home. And, I've driven that wonderful/frustrating road! ha ha

Shelby said...

Thank you. Given the week that I have had, you can't possibly know how much I needed to read this today. So just... thank you.

Digger derrick said...

I use digger derrick trucks for our projects. You can also look up for them.

Fuso Trucks said...

Can be very annoying when you get stuck behind one.