Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Keep Writing?

Pause & Ponder this:

One of the comments I received upon newly joining a writer's site some years back was "Keep writing!" To me, it was a neutral comment. Depending on which mood I happened to be in, I could take it to mean "Keep writing, hopefully next time you won't stink." Or the opposite, "Keep writing. I like what I've just read & want more." Maybe what it really meant was "You have potential." If only the commenter had gone on to explain which they meant...it wouldn't have left me wondering. And what if I don't feel like writing next week, should I keep writing anyway?

The "keep writing" example came to my mind when I was reading Romans 12:11-12 in The Message today.
"Don't burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame.
Be alert servants of the Master, cheerfully expectant.
Don't quit in hard times; pray all the harder."
Nothing ambiguous about this instruction, is there? We are to "Keep Walking" as believers, good mood, bad mood, and every emotion, struggle & circumstance in-between. We keep from getting burned out when we keep ourselves fueled and aflame by the power of the Word. We keep expectant, cheerfully so, as we keep alert to our Master, working in and through us. We keep going and keep praying during the hard times. There's no other choice.

I had to stop and ask myself today:

Am I keeping on as His disciple, or have I given up in some areas?
Is my walk powered by His fuel or my own?
Do I talk talk of the walk without keeping the walk worthy of my talk?

My friends:
"Since this is the kind of life we have chosen,
the life of the Spirit,
let us make sure that we do not just hold it as an idea in our heads
or a sentiment in our hearts, 
but work out its implications in every detail of our lives."
Galatians 5:25
Living Him out in every detail of our lives is only possible when we surrender our lives to the Lord, keeping Him front and center. I'm praying "all the harder" for that now.

Lord God, help us to live this message large today through the power of the Holy Spirit. You are our Lord. Apart from You, we have no good thing. In Your faithful name we pray, Amen.


12 friends shared a comment:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Yup, This is timely. As always!I am struggling so hard in the area of homeschooling. I just feel like giving up. Thanks for the encouraging words my friend. And "keep writing" LOL. It's of course meant in the sense that I love what you do and I want more!
HUGS
Kim

Amy Sorrells said...

SOOOOO needed to hear this today. Thank you for your wise and beautiful words. Your blog is gorgeous, too! So glad I found it. Blessings to you today . . . and write on!

Sabrina Kay said...

I so needed to hear this this morning. Coming to the third day of teacing Preschoolers in a week of VBS after working all day at my full time job, burn-out was close at hand. Thanks for the verse!!!!

Marsha said...

As the old slogan from the 60's said, "Keep on truckin'!"

What an excellent reminder, especially on those days when I'd rather just pull the blanket up over my head and forget about it all.

Have a blessed day, my friend.

Tea with Tiffany said...

Ditto to your prayer. The faith walk is a hard one. And writing, well, that to takes perseverance. If God is calling you to write, write. He will supply the rest. Your part is to sit and type. :)

I'm on your side.

Hugs,

Tiffany

Laura Anne Harrison said...

The Rom.12:11-13 passage speaks to my heart & soul. Sometimes, I'm so exhausted w/everyday things I question if I should be writing at all. In the 3rd yr of working on an archival history of our church
(1757-2009)there have been things-including loosing everything I'd written (abt 500 pgs)- when my computer died last year. When that happened, I kept asking if God were really leading me to do this project. I did have a hard copy of pgs I'd done. Still everything had to been rekeyed into the computer. Thru continuing research, God led me to the discovery of more material tto be added, etc...To make a long story short, the history is better than it would have been. This history ("The Faith Still Live") is His, not mine. Hopefully, it will be completed by fall of this yr. God's verse for me through it all continues to be Gen. 17:7-"I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between you & me & your descendants after you for generations to come to be your God to be your God and the God of your descendants after you." So, keep writing dear. God is doing great things through you.
In God's Love, LauraAnne

Patty Wysong said...

Such good questions to ask ourselves! Keep returning to the source of all...so good my friend!
Huggles!

Denise said...

Standing with you my friend in this prayer, love you.

Terri Tiffany said...

Uh Oh-- I'm one of those people who have said "Keep Writing" meaning you will improve. Just like we have to keep walking with Jesus--we will grow. Great analogy!

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing writer! I pray that you 'Keep Writing'!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've been struggling with my "keeping up" these days; still and yet, I know that I need to. Praying for a fresh infusion of some "willing want to" in the days to come.

peace~elaine

Karen said...

Wow - such an encouraging post! I needed to read it today!

Hope you have a great weekend!
Karen