Monday, March 9, 2009

He Has Been Here 100 percent

Brian has been here for me for 19 years in marriage today. Over 20 if you count our courtship and engagement.

One hundred percent truth: My love for him is deeper and more intense now than it has ever been.

We really were only kids when we got married, see?



This is just a photograph, but if you want a true picture of the kind of husband Brian has been to me, then read this:

Ephesians 5:25-33 (The Message)
"Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church—a love marked by giving, not getting. Christ's love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty. Everything he does and says is designed to bring the best out of her, dressing her in dazzling white silk, radiant with holiness. And that is how husbands ought to love their wives. They're really doing themselves a favor—since they're already "one" in marriage.

No one abuses his own body, does he? No, he feeds and pampers it. That's how Christ treats us, the church, since we are part of his body. And this is why a man leaves father and mother and cherishes his wife. No longer two, they become "one flesh." This is a huge mystery, and I don't pretend to understand it all. What is clearest to me is the way Christ treats the church. And this provides a good picture of how each husband is to treat his wife, loving himself in loving her, and how each wife is to honor her husband."

Our love has not been perfect. Oh, my goodness, I could share some whopper doozies of problems and conflicts with you. But not today. Today I remember a "policy" that Brian set up early on in our marriage. "We won't go to bed upset or angry," he would say, "and we won't lie in bed discussing it either. We'll go sit at the kitchen table or in the living room until we work it out." He has lived up to that over the years, and so have I.

Today I remember that he has had us on a budget ever since I can remember. Insanely so. I haven't always been grateful about that, if you know what I mean, but I am today.

This day is the day I remember that Brian has always been the one to take me wayyyy out of my comfort zone. He is adventurous. I am not. He is all about quality time. I am not. He is a risk-taker. I am not. Somehow, over the years, though, we've both gone further to the middle, and though I wouldn't necessarily shout this from a mountain top (a blog's pretty private, right?), I'm kind of glad I've let him drag me places kicking and screaming.

The theme that sticks out most in my mind for today, however, is 100/100. Percent/Percent, that is. This is the philosophy I have heard Brian repeat over and over and over and ooooooover and oooooooooooooooooover. A LoT. He believes that a marriage based on 50/50 will surely fail, if not physically, then spiritually. "You do your part, I'll do mine" is a recipe for failure from his perspective, and I happen to agree. If each of us gives 100 percent of ourselves with the Lord as our main focus and guide, then we are living out our marriage the way God intended.

I could go on and on...haven't even brought up what an incredible father he is to our children, but maybe I'm just selfish today and want him all to myself. So...I guess what I want to say is...Brian, thank you for nineteen years of 100 percent love. Thank you for never giving up on me and for growing up with me and for leading us God's way.

Just like you promised when we were dating, "I'll always come for you." Then you repeated as the Steven Curtis Chapman song "I Will Be Here" played at our wedding. You have lived up to your promise. You have been here, and not just halfway. 100 percent. I love you, Brian. 100 percent.



"As sure as seasons are made for change,
Our lifetimes are made for years,
So I will be here."

Steven Curtis Chapman


Taken last night, March 9th, 2009, at an anniversary gathering planned by my 2 daughters and my niece. Photo taken without blushing by my 13-year-old son. Oh, and how could I forget Abby? Do you see her blending in with Brian? She managed to keep her jealousy at a minimum as we gave a smooch, though I don't think she liked it too much. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law applauded at the end as I blushed.
 Just like a new bride.


17 friends shared a comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful. Words to live by.

Happy anniversary!

Denise said...

Happy Anniversary my dear friend. This was such a precious tribute to your love for your husband. Enjoy your day, I love you.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Brava! Brava! That was so wonderful my friend. It is a breath of fresh air to hear such wonderful stories of a healthy Godly marriage. I could have written that same thing about my husband. In fact I might copy and paste it for our next anniversary LOL.
We had STeven Curtis Chapman sing at our wedding to. But we picked Go There With You. Your song was our second choice!
Love you my sister and Happy Anniversary!

Sita said...

Congratulations! More and more, godly marriages are needed to shine out for the world to see...

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh, so sweet, Laura. Thanks for sharing!

Yvonne Blake said...

*standing ovation*

Absolutely wonderful!Isn't God good to give us so many blessings?

((((love you))))

Vonnie

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this with us. My husband and I are about to celebrate our first anniversary. It is inspiring to me to read about women who continue to grow in their marriages. Thank you!

Patty Wysong said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!
Sending hugs, and prayers.
Love you!

Dee Yoder said...

Wonderful, Laura! I love that song, too. Happy Anniversary and may you have many, many more years together!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

100% for 19 years. Congratulations and here's to 19 more...at least!

peace~elaine

LisaShaw said...

How beautiful. Congratulations and may the blessings of the Lord rest upon your marriage for many many more.

Laurie Ann said...

Oh, LauraLee. How beautiful that post was. Happy Happy Happy Anniversary, my friend!

Betsy Markman said...

Congratulations! Happy anniversary.

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

Congratulations! I love that wedding picture! Isn't it neat to look back and see how much you all have grown over the past 19 years -- grown up, grown together, grown wiser, grown more in love... Great post!

Tracy said...

Beautiful! What a wonderful tribute to your marriage, and to your husband. Thanks for sharing this with us. Congratulations on your nineteen years, and I pray you have many, many more! Blessings!

Joanne Sher said...

Amazing tribute, my dear, dear Laura. What a gem you have - and have been. You blessed me, dearest.

Josh said...

Being in the position of just starting out on this journey with Jamie, I must say that this post really blessed me. I really pray that I can step up and be the man God has called me to be for her just as your husband has done for you. Here's to many more happy, God-filled years of marriage for the both of you!