Thursday, April 16, 2009

If You Want To Change The World, Pick Up Your Pen

I came across a verse at the Supernatural Living blog yesterday for Word-Filled Wednesday. For some reason, it struck me and stayed with me all day.

"Write down the revelation..." 
Habakkuk 2:2b

Of course there's more words surrounding that verse, and I don't want to take it out of context, but it reminded me of one of my favorite quotes:

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen."
Martin Luther


Think about it, the power of the written word has changed the world, and it has changed you and me. The Word of God is the most influential of all, and the list goes down the chain from there.

But it got me to thinking, what revelation do I need to write down? Sights and sounds and situations bring new revelations all the time. Beyond that, how could I influence my world by picking up my pen? Pen is figurative, but go with me.

~ Pause.

How does this apply to you?

Perhaps you need to write that book you've been putting off writing.
Maybe you are feeling led to be more purposeful with your blog.
Could you make a huge difference by getting on the floor and drawing a picture with your child?
Do you need to send a letter to that Senator? that Superintendent? that newspaper?
It might be time to pull the "thank you" or "thinking of you" cards out of the drawer.
And way outside the box: could your Facebook use a facelift by making a difference with your words there? Perhaps send some Scriptures a-twittering and see where they land.

With your pen, you can write "Great job at the presentation" to your employee, or "I'm praying for you" in your child's lunchbox. You can raise support for a cause or remind your spouse how much he/she means to you. You can draw a gospel presentation on a napkin at the coffee shop or loan a pen to the person next to you in church.

Whatever you do, please don't leave His pen behind your ear...

~ Ponder

Has God laid anything on your heart to write lately?
Do you have a revelation burning that God wants you to share?
Are you faithful to share the most important Word of all? 
Isaiah 55:11: "so is My Word that goes out from My mouth: It will not return to Me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

~ Praise

Father in Heaven, Thank You for Your Word, especially the Word made flesh, that lived among us and then chose to die for our sins. We praise You for giving us the Bible, to study, to hide in our hearts, and to share with others. And Lord, we long to be faithful to use our own words--speaking ones, writing ones, thinking ones--to make a difference in this world, big and small and in-between. Show us what You want us to write or draw or teach through our pens, God. And we pray it all in Jesus' name, Amen.

 
***I hope you'll go by the Internet Cafe tomorrow and see what God laid on my heart to write about bikinis, (cough), I mean about appearances. I pray it is just the revelation you need for your soul this week.


17 friends shared a comment:

Denise said...

Such an inspirational post sweet friend.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Loved this my friend. I realized the other day that I hardly "write" with pen or pencil any more. It's sad really. I have been encouraged to write more and this was the icing on the cake. Thank you sweet friend.
I can't wait to read your post tomorrow about "bikinis" LOL. I gave up bathing suits all together years ago. I now wear board shorts and a tank top.
Hugs.
Kim

Betsy Markman said...

Love this post!
"Whatever you do, don't leave His pen behind your ear."

Great stuff!

Maybe I'll Twitter some Bible verses once in a while...

GodsOwn/Bernice said...

Loved your post...Today i also "doth down" my morning revelation

Blessings
Bernie

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

Laura, I love all of your practical suggestions for using the power of words in print to encourage others. And what a great reminder that the Word was made flesh! If we ever doubted the importance of words, that should be our first clue. Thanks for the consistent blessings that pour from your "pen" right into my heart.

Unknown said...

I remember hearing Mother Teresa describe herself as a "pencil in God's hand" -- imagine what it would be like if we would but allow Him to write His message to the world through us.

Christi crux est mea lux,
Denise

Yolanda said...

I can't help but think with this scripture from Habakkuk not only with our blogs but also with my journaling.

Praise His Name!!!
Yolanda @ Higher Grounds

Slendarella said...

That was a great post! And it really made me pause and think. Love it!

Laurie Ann said...

I miss writing long-handed. I'm fixing to copy the book of Ruth long-handed, though. :) Ah...the power of the written Word! Great Scripture and great post! I can't wait to stop by the Cafe tomorrow.

Patty Wysong said...

La, you hit me again. This is something we've talked about a lot...I guess it's time to get to work, huh?

Billy Coffey said...

Oh, how I needed this today. I'm printing this and taping it to my computer. Post haste.

And what a great quote by Luther, one that I've never seen before.

You've blessed me!

Alleluiabelle said...

What a great post. I want to be writing for Him, so I don't want to leave His pen behind my ear! I want His pen in my hand to push me to let Him flow through me in whatever ways He desires.

Thank you so much. You blessed me too!

Blessings,
Alleluiabelle

Terri Tiffany said...

Amen! We can make a big difference with the pen! And we should!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You know I love this one for so many reasons...

peace~elaine

Joan said...

This has been on my heart, also.

So I started another blog.

http://rwwoman.blogspot.com

blessings

LisaShaw said...

THIS IS A KEEPER!!! Not just to tuck away but for action!

Love you.

Sheryl said...

i just want to tell you that this was for me - thank you!!