Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pause and Ponder A Simple Life

Some go about it differently than others, but most of us, if we're honest, try to make life pleasurable and happy for our kids, spouses and friends. We work to give them a "better life," at least our definition of it.

My second child and firstborn daughter, AnaLee, teaches me so much, though, as she defines pleasure from a different perspective than most. Emotionally speaking, she's tightly wired like her mama, but in every other way she's a free bird. She's simple, practical and real. Crowds? No thanks. Hectic schedule? Not unless you want to pick her up in pieces off the floor a few days into it. She likes to keep things simple, clean and organized.

I love her.

Anyway, she wrote this Fantabulous poem, and though I don't share personal family details often on my blog, I had to here. The message in her writing is ponder-worthy, and it caused me to praise the Lord for the work of His hands, especially my daughter.

Countryside
by AnaLee Shaw

A small house in the countryside,
In front of a big backyard.
Sauntering down the dirt road,
Far from a boulevard.

Just a small school by a little church around a tiny well,
Living and working hard.
With a good herding dog, and a nutmeg horse,
And nice folks--no one a card.

This is where I want to live,
By the beautiful countryside.
I'll own what the world has to give.

One day I'll move there,
I'll sieve from the city-like ways,
And enjoy winter when the trees are bare,
And, in the summer, walk by the riverside bays.

Someday I'll get work,
And move to the countryside.
I'll have a family, and we'll avoid the skunks that lurk,
And enjoy playing in the lake tide.

Someday, One day, Now-a-day,
I dream of living on the countryside.

What are you dreaming of these days?

Do you need more simplicity in your life?


26 friends shared a comment:

Patricia said...

BEAUTIFUL!! My life's dream too. Praise the Lord it is partially realized already!

What wonderful perspective in one so young... I love the way her heart speaks.

elaine healy said...

What a nice way to start the day. Thank you for your beautiful poem!

Mari said...

Ah, AnaLee, You are your mother's daughter. Gifted, beautiful and wise. Nurture your gift as well as your dream. Give it all to God, and in His time you will be a fulfilled woman of God.

Blessings!
Mari (your mom's favorite Washington State friend. lol)

Patty Wysong said...

She's a lot like her mom! That was wonderful AnaLee!

I need simplicity too.
Now would be nice, but it's not happening anytime soon. LoL. Someday, though! Until then, HE will give us what we need to do HIS work.

Huggles!

Susan said...

AnaLee!!!

This was just incredible!! You are truly one VERY talented young girl.

I pray your dream will come true!

I dreaming of the day my grand-daugthers and I can take a little trip together.

Have a blessed day!!

Yvonne Blake said...

I see a FaithWriter in the making!

Runner Mom said...

AnaLee!That was beautiful, darlin'!! You are so talented. I love the country too!! Your words painted a lovely picture!

Hugs,
Susan

Brian said...

Annie...You are such an incredible little girl who is growing into such a wonderful young woman. I love your heart because it loves the things of God: His creation, His peace, His joy..... I do not think there could be dad that is prouder than I!!!

Sara Harricharan said...

Beautiful writing, Analee! That was awesome! I loved the last verse the best though, it captures it so well, a kind of wistfulness, thoughtfulness make-you-think kind of "ness" lol. Excellent writing!

Betsy Markman said...

Beautifully written! A lot of talent there.

I long for more "country" too...

Unknown said...

That was just beautiful, AnaLee Lauren! Aunt Lisy loved the part about the skunk! We are a lot alike - I like the "quiet" too and no crowds! I'm so proud of you! You ministered to me this morning...

Billy Coffey said...

That was absolutely amazing! Love the descriptions, love the images.

I just can't get over this...

TRUTH SHARER said...

I long to see HEAVEN - because my JESUS' PRESENCE will be FACE To FACE there!

Anonymous said...

Definitely a writer! and a very good one!
Enjoyed this poem a lot!
Sunny

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

AnaLee:

You and I are kindred spirits. I wrote a similar poem when I was young about living in Montana. Montana represented so much for me ... a life I longed to live in simplicity, far from the life that was currently drowning me.

I love your tender words; keep to them. This won't be the last of your expressions ... of that I am sure.

peace~elaine

Aunt Angie said...

I LOVED that! Wow! What talent that girl of yours is blessed with!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the life in the country myself! The smell...the sounds...the morning joy!

What a blessed thought! This was a sweet surprise here today!

Denise said...

That was beautiful, love it. Your daughter is very creative.

Connie Arnold said...

Thank you for sharing the beautiful poem, LauraLee. It's obvious your daughter has a special gift like her mother!

AnaLee, your poem is delightful, wonderfully descriptive and draws the reader into wanting to be in the countryside too!

Unknown said...

LauraLee,

And how old is your precious daughter? For she is wise beyond her young years!

Do I need more simplicity in my life? ABSOLUTELY! ABSOLUTELY!

Your daughter's poem reminded me to be extra thankful for the three acres God has gifted us with the privilege of living upon. Coming from city life in Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas, it is with great pleasure that we now reside in the midst of the pines of a tiny little place called Bush, Louisiana. I look out my window and see green trees, a gravel drive, and in the distance a neighbor's home. I've gotten so busy lately that I almost forgot to be thankful for such a blessing from the Lord! (Even when Katrina took away half the trees!)

Please give your precious daughter a big thanks and a hug from me, for her wonderful reminder!

Praising God, for the good gifts He gives,

Cheri

lynnmosher said...

LauraLee, Your buttons must be popping off in every direction! How special to have a daughter follow in your footsteps.

AnaLee, Bless your heart! What a lovely poem! God has given you a great gift. Keep at it! Beautiful!

Blessings to you both...Lynn

Leaon Mary said...

SIMPLY BEEEAUTIFUL
HOLYKISSES BLOWN TO LITTLE ANALEE

Sharlyn Guthrie said...

How precious! Thanks for sharing AnaLee's beautiful poem. she definitely has a knack for writing. I wonder how that happened! Isn't it special to share something as treasured as your writing ability with her? God is so good to bless both of you in that way. I totally agree with her that country life is the best.

On another note, I plan to take you up on that Texas sized hug this summer!! I hope you it works out to meet you then.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your poem AnaLee! You are so gifted and talented! I hope to read more poems from my smart, beautiful niece!

Love you so much!

Aunt Tracy

Joanne Sher said...

Oh, AnaLee! This sounds WONDERFUL, and you're a VERY talented girl. I would love a slow life, and you have expressed it beautifully. La, you must be so pleased.

lori said...

GIRL, you HAVE to let her have a blog and THEN she and Maddie (my first born, GOD loving, free bird) can be buddies....THEN we'll introduce her to my red head...the one who says no to crowds and is wound TIGHT like her momma...:) She'll love em both...

She is a GIFTED girl with such perspective!!
WOWZER!
they are at:

http://sweetteame.blogspot.com/ (Maddie's...she's working on her design blog...but this is the regular one)

http://www.gotfreckles.blogspot.com/
(this is Delaney's...she's 11...soon to be 12 :) )

Mikes Sumondong said...

How i wish everything can be as simple as it was. I dream of becoming a millionaire. funny but true and i think God will do it in his time. it may not be simple as it looks but it's the heart that's heart. Praise the Lord for your daughter!

Your Daily Word