Thursday, June 26, 2008

Got Guilt?

Sometimes it's a song that breaks through a stronghold.

For years, I had been given over to a guilt complex. Not for any one thing. Just for all kinds of things. I would take responsibility for situations that were not even mine to take on. I would ask for forgiveness for something, yet eat my guilt away in Hostess products. I prayed for it to go away, but I could not overcome it.

Then our worship pastor introduced this song. My eyelashes got a bath, as well as my whole face as I stood in awe over the lyrics and the melody. It was positively anointed. It reached through and healed my stronghold. Snap. Just like that. I wish I had a video of my church choir and vocalists singing it, but unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera for the souvenir moment. Aha, but I don't feel guilty. Instead, I go to God. Tube, that is. I found this video on GodTube, and it is powerful as well. Enjoy the powerful lyrics, and if you are a visual worshiper, the film clips as well:



Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus,
by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain,
that is, His body, and since we have a great priest
over the house of God,
let us draw near to God with a sincere heart
in full assurance of faith,
having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us
from a guilty conscience
and having our bodies washed with pure water.
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess,
for He who promised is faithful.

Hebrews 10:19-23 (NIV)



No more guilt. Not me. When I fail, I go to the One who forgives and gives me help to turn from my sin. I will not bask on the waters of self-righteous, self-pitying guilt. I’ll put my trust in His powerful, loving salvation instead.

8 friends shared a comment:

Joanne Sher said...

A powerful song, with an even more powerful message to go along with it. Guilt is SO easy to fall into, and I praise Him that God has released you, and given you a message to help release the rest of us.

Yvonne Blake said...

Couldn't access the song, but I do know that forgiveness is the best feeling in the world.
The thought that God forgets our forgiven sins is amazing. I wish we could forget them.
Praying for you, sis.

Laury said...

Laura -- I love that song, too. What a powerful video. wow! Thank you so much for sharing it. I think guilt goes hand-in-hand with being a mom, maybe even with being a woman. Not sure why, Darling, if you figure it out you can share, okay? Love you loads, guilt-free!!!!

Tracy said...

It's a beautiful song and video, thanks for sharing! Guilt can certainly eat away at us if we let it. Releasing it through Him is the only way we can live a life of fullness. Bless you, friend! ~ Tracy

Angie said...

Can't wait to get on my other computer that has speakers and hear it. Love the words that go with it. I've experienced what you describe and seriously wonder if it is the accuser of the brethren whispering those guilt thoughts in our ear. Praise God that there is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Thanks for your kind comments at Faith Lifts. LOVE your place here.

Kindly,
Angie

Patty Wysong said...

One of my favorites, LaLee. Guilt will eat us alive if we take care of it just like this. Spot on!

Judy said...

Little One, my beautiful neice!
What a great and awesome song! As usual you have rattled my conscience! I to take on alot of guilt, my own and that for others! This is a prayer answered for me !! Thanks!
Love you ~ Auntie J

Kristen Schiffman said...

I just like you. lol. Your writing is so honest.

I know so many women held down by guilt. This is a powerful message.