Monday, August 4, 2008

Blurred Vision/At the Well Monday

Natalie at I Am (Not) is the hostess of "At the Well" this week.



Here's her challenging question:
Do you have a family vision? If not, what would you like it to be?

I truly encourage you to go over to her place and read about this subject. She challenges married couples, singles and empty nesters alike. Incredibly insightful post, Natalie, and one that has challenged me yet again. These women at the well certainly are stretching me.

Now my husband has been trying to set some family goals for quite awhile now. The way he is wired is dependent upon it. He has done such a good job of it too, which has kept me--this left-brained, all-over-the-map, flitty creative type--probably out of serious emotional trouble. Because of the way I'm wired, I have a difficult time getting behind the goals he sets, but I pray and I try.

As a result of this mix, Brian almost fell off the loveseat last night when I asked him this question: "Honey, what would you say our family vision is?"

Then it was my turn to fall off my side of the loveseat when he answered: "Blurred."

It brought about an incredible discussion about the lack of intentionality on our part to think about where we want to "end up" as a family, instead of just where we want to "be" as a family. Even though there are no guarantees that we will end up the way we plan, it will help us keep our focus on a daily basis, hopefully motivating us to stay the course.

In the zoom out, big picture lens, our family vision is the greatest commandment of all:
Mark 12:29-31 ( (NIV)

"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'There is no commandment greater than these."

Though these verses direct the decisions we make, Brian and I seem to think our challenge comes with the zoom in, and that is the one we will begin to turn our attention toward...because both of us are kind of tired of the blur. We need to set a tighter vision to help us have some discipline and focus with the larger one. Hopefully, by doing so, we'll all see the Lord's path for us a little more clearly along the way.
Proverbs 16:1-9 (The Message)

Everything with a Place and a Purpose

Mortals make elaborate plans, but God has the last word.

Humans are satisfied with whatever looks good;
God probes for what is good.

Put God in charge of your work,
then what you've planned will take place.

God made everything with a place and purpose;
even the wicked are included—but for judgment.

God can't stomach arrogance or pretense;
believe me, he'll put those upstarts in their place.

Guilt is banished through love and truth;
Fear-of-God deflects evil.

When God approves of your life,
even your enemies will end up shaking your hand.

Far better to be right and poor
than to be wrong and rich.

We plan the way we want to live,
but only God makes us able to live it.

15 friends shared a comment:

Laurie Ann said...

Great post! While our family vision is also blurred, I intend to change that. You've given me some good Scripture to think on.

Denise said...

Great scripture, thanks for sharing.

Patty Wysong said...

LoL--Your Brian and my Jim are wired the same way! If we, as a family, accomplish something it's due to Jim's sight and vision for us. I've learned from him and it's helped me tremendously.

A vision for our family? Close knit, among other things. LoL. That's why we started scuba diving. *grin*

Great food for thought--as always.
Thanks!

Natalie Witcher said...

It's so great to see people get fired up about vision! I'm excited for you!

Laury said...

Praying that the vision you and Brian have for your family always stayed lined up with God's vision.

lori said...

What a great vision...it does all stem from that Great Commandment, doesn't it....without the LOVE, we're done for..:)

Great post...20/20 vision:)
peace,
lori

Sunny Shell said...

WONDERFUL! Thank you for sharing Laura!

Tracy Berta-daughter to the King, wife, mother, speaker, writer said...

Great post!!! LOL, I can identify with "this left-brained, all-over-the-map, flitty creative type--"!!!!!!

I, too, have been fuzzy, but have been challenged to change!!!

Blessings!

Sheila said...

The "zoom in" is the hard part isn't it?! I think it's a continual process of praying and checking in with the Lord until He develops (like a poloroid) a more clear, detailed picture. Often times though He gives us the big picture and reveals step by step not way ahead of time the every detail.

I love your writing...it really engages me!

Thanks
Sheila

Sunny Shell said...

Hello again sister Laura!

Thank you for you kind comment on my post. And no, I have not heard the praise and worship chorus on Micah 6:8, but absolutely would LOVE to!

Where can I find it?

Grateful for you,
Sunny

Anonymous said...

Love the post -- especially the blurred vision!! :-) If the trouble is when you "zoom in," does that make you near-sighted?

I love your honesty; we often find ourselves in the same boat. I can imagine the big picture, but the devil's in the details, I guess!

This is my first time to your blog, and I think I'm going to enjoy looking around.

Blessings,
Dena

Unknown said...

Love those scriptures! Thank you for sharing, it will amaze you what happens when you actually have you vision written out.

Joanne Sher said...

You are SO good, Laura. Great thoughts and a lesson for all of us, dear.

IJ Hanna Lucky said...

Hi Lauralee, lovely blog we Bless the Name of our Lord I love this part so much . . .
When God approves of your life,
even your enemies will end up shaking your hand.

Godbless

Colored Heart said...

Ps 16:9
We plan the way we want to live,
but only God makes us able to live it.

This should be our guard from attempting to write down and executing our mission statements apart from God's enabling grace. TY for sharing!:$