Thursday, November 13, 2008

More Deep Devotion

Okay, well I gotta do it again. My heart is stirred by what I read in my devotions this morning, but it is deeeeeep and uncomfortable. Read at your own risk. ;)

This is from "Meditations on The Heart of God" (pg. 31) by Francois Fenelon, which my good friend Whitney nudged me to pull off my bookshelf and read. To think all this incredible stuff has just been sitting there dusty, waiting to be re-read. I've been missing out. Anyway, here 'tis:

Do this, and you will live. (Jesus Christ, in Luke 10:28b, RSV)

"We often say we would like to know what to do to advance in virtue--but when the Spirit of God shows us what to do, we often lack the courage to carry it out. We have a strong feeling that we are not what we ought to be. We see how our burdens grow day by day. Yet we feel we are doing a lot just by saying we want to be delivered out of ourselves.

"Let us count it as nothing if we say we are willing to follow God, and then do not go as far as sacrificing the things that stop us from walking in God's ways. Let us not hold the truth captive through our unrighteous half-heartedness."


Those last two lines are the kicker, aren't they? Listen, this stuff is not for the legalist. If you struggle with legalism, you may want to consider letting the Lord help you with the issue of freedom in Christ first. But if you have been a Christian awhile, have set aside legalism, and you've been walking free in the Spirit, then this is for you. It's for me too. It's where I am.

I want the deeper life because I love the Lord. I want to be righteous because I love the Lord. I want to live whole-heartedly devoted to Him, because the Spirit of God is pressing the matter within me.

Is He doing the same in you?

Psalm 86:11 (NIV)

Teach me your way, O LORD,
and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.

Father God, I'm almost speechless. I'm in awe of Your goodness, even at a time in my life when my groanings are louder than ever. I have need for nothing. You have given me every single thing I need, and to be honest, most of what I want as well. But Lord, You have placed this restlessness within me for a deeper fellowship with You--not an anxious restlessness, but a holy one. Lord, help me to mean it when I say I want You to lead and direct my ways. Help me to tell the truth when I offer to be a living sacrifice for You. Replace my timid spirit with Your spirit of power. Substitute my selfish heart with Your heart of sacrificial love. I pray that You would do the same, Lord of all, with my brothers and sisters who answered a "yes" to the question above. May we fully rely on Your Holy Spirit in us to do this work. In Your magnificent name I pray, Amen.


In the Key of HE,

9 friends shared a comment:

Betsy Markman said...

Amen, amen, amen!

I love that holy restlessness! What a gift from God that is! "The complacency of fools will destroy them," (Pr. 1:32), so God delivers us from destruction by stirring up that hunger and thirst for righteousness...and then He blesses us for being hungry and thirsty (Matt. 5:6)!

He is SO good!

Bless you my sister! We may never meet on this earth, but someday in Glory we'll be able to swap so many stories!

Sunny Shell said...

Beautiful sister Lauralee!

I'm with ya! Count me! Let's go die together shall we?!

God's truth stings, but oh, how it cleanses our wretched souls of all it's filth! This devotional is right on...as usual, and that is why....drum roll...yes, you got it....

I've got another award I'd like to pass along to you!!!!

Please stop by my place to pick it up! Here's the link:

I'm Overflowing and I Want To Share!

I love you oodles and oodles!
Sunny

Joanne Sher said...

Oh, Laura. I am SO there. Need to stop talking and start ACTING like I am that living sacrifice. Prayed that prayer right along with you, dear.

Jennifer said...

Count me in also! I have the same restlessness in my spirit...longing to do more, know more and serve more. I am praying for time to be made available in a full schedule right now. I am praying that the Lord shows me what I need to let go of to free up that time to serve Him more.

God bless you! I needed that today.

lori said...

Add me to the "restless Spirit" group...longing to do more,be more...stirred to do so much more FULLY for him...fabulous post LauraLee....just the devo I needed tonight!

hugs to you girl!
lori

Patty Wysong said...

"Let us count it as nothing if we say we are willing to follow God, and then do not go as far as sacrificing the things that stop us from walking in God's ways. Let us not hold the truth captive through our unrighteous half-heartedness."

Oh. Man. I've just been sucker punched. It was a one-two jab, and even though I was braced for it (LoL--thanks for the warning!) I still hurt.

This is right where I'm at--for two days now. I thought I had it decided, but then the 'stakes' went up as I remember something. Next time you warn me, I'm gonna put on full-body protective gear. Ya think that'll help? (not)

Thanks for this. Truly. Truth isn't easy to hear, but it's needed.
Huggles!

Laurie Ann said...

Longing to do more.....wonderful devotion, LauraLee!

Debbie said...

Thanks for sharing from your heart. I heard this somewhere, that the closer you are in your relationship the easier it is to hear what he is calling you to do. I have got to believe that it is easier to do it when you are in tune with God and the Holyspirit's leading. Thanks for the convicting message.
deb

Josh said...

Your posts always inspire me to seek God even more than I already do. You are such a blessing, Laura. Your heart shines through this post, and I feel the same restlessness and hunger to do as much as I possibly can for my Maker. I always ask myself "Is He pleased with me?" Even when the answer is yes, I still find myself hungering to do even more for Him.

May God bless your desire to do more, and may He help you accomplish that goal. :)