Monday, November 3, 2008

A God-Honoring Schedule

My precious sister and new friend Sunny from A Damsel No Longer in Distress is hosting a fabulous topic at the well today: Preparing a God-honoring Schedule with No Regrets...what an awesome time for those of you reading to jump in on the subject. I'd love to hear what you have to say. Here's Sunny's discussion questions:

1. Have you ever planned your day, week or month, then regretted making the commitments you’ve made, wondering if your plan was the right one?
2. Have you ever wondered if you should’ve said “yes” to one person and “no” to another and just weren’t sure what the best thing to do was?
3. Who or what does your schedule represent? Does it represent you, your affinities, or your love for Christ?


Twill be Incredible and useful chatter at the well today…and for the most part, I'll be a student and a listener, because the word "schedule," oftentimes, can send me into a tailspin. Can’t wait to hear the advice, wisdom and admonition the other ladies have to share, and I’ll be listening with an open heart and an open mind.

I've always been pretty organized with tasks and projects, but planning and maintaining a schedule can be rather difficult for my creative, artsy-pop-tartsy brain. Unless, that is, I think of it in terms of the order of priorities which God lays on my heart each day.

Truly, I go through my "list" with Him, usually with a desperate voice, and ask for His help. I've learned that because structure is so difficult for me to maintain, He can act and work through my weakness accordingly as I readily admit my need.

I wake up earlier than my kids so that I can start my day with Him, asking Him to help me order the tasks that are on my plate. It seems they are different each day, as my kids go to school two days a week and school at home three days a week. It's a challenge to maintain a regular routine, but the Lord helps me one day at a time, hopefully bringing glory to Himself in the process.

One word I can offer to this subject is that as Christian women, we need to constantly lay our priorities and our expectations before the Lord. When those are out of balance, then everything else is too, schedule or no schedule.

To compare ourselves to others--what and how much So-and-so can do and where we are insufficient—that is the ultimate mistake. When our focus is on what someone else is doing better than us, then we can't very well focus on God, can we? (By the way, the opposite is true as well...if we think we are better than another, then eek...) I do believe it is okay to admire the Godly qualities in another and even ask the Lord to help you adopt some of those qualities, but just stay open to what the Lord wants for YOU as His unique creation.

Beware of earthly formulas that promise to help you have it all together. Just as you consult a physician before you start a certain medication, make sure you consult the Great Physician before you accept a prescription for fixing what's "wrong" with you in this area. What works for one family may not work for yours.

The Lord lives and moves and breathes in each one of us according to the measure we surrender our lives to do so. He made you, He made me, He knows us intimately, and He has a unique way of working in each one of us.

Keep your eyes focused on what HE wants you to do, be obedient to it, and He’ll begin to put your schedule in order, in a way that is best for you and your family. He will keep you open and teachable, and will direct you to people who can give you suggestions as you need it. He will always be faithful to work it out in you as you lay down your pride and follow his leading. A few of the verses that I've memorized in the NIV are perfect for this, but I'm typing The Message version in order to put it in a fresh way:

"Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others. Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life."
Galatians 6:4-5, The Message


"Be energetic in your life of salvation, reverent and sensitive before God. That energy is God's energy, an energy deep within you, God himself willing and working at what will give him the most pleasure."
Philippians 2:13, The Message


This is what He has done and is continuing to do for me. Very soon, I’ll be sharing a personal example of some huge priority decisions I’ve had to make recently, but the timing isn’t quite right yet. Besides, I want to make sure I have enough time in my schedule (lol) to take in what all the other ladies have to say at the well. While I’ll choose not to compare, I’m still certain I’ll learn a ton from the wisdom God has given them…He’ll even give me some of that stuff to work on and implement into my own life, I feel sure.

In His perfect time, in His perfect way, through His unique plan for me, I can have a schedule that honors God, and the same is true of you.

So tell me what you think about it...


In the Key of HE,

13 friends shared a comment:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Absolutely wonderful. I loved it. Very inspiring. You have a lot to offer my friend. Very wise.
Hugs to you!

LAURIE said...

"we need to constantly lay our priorities and our expectations before the Lord. When those are out of balance, then everything else is too, schedule or no schedule."

Sounds to me like you have MUCH to offer on this subject. Loved what you said here about laying our priorities and expectations before the Lord and allowing Him to lead us.

Always enjoy your heart and thank you for faithfully visiting me page...

-Blessings, Laurie

Unknown said...

Laura Lee, you've got some wonderful thoughts and wisdom on this. I love the reminder to not look to everyone else for our schedule and priorities, but to the Father. This is SO important. He is the one who should order our day! So glad you joined us today~

Sheila said...

Yeah, the HUGE thing for me is not looking to other peoples schedules or methods, but looking to the Word and in prayerful conversation with Him coming up with Spirit led decisions and plans.

And that's what I'm off to do right now...

Joyfull said...

Great points that you brought out for us today. How true that we need to lay our priorities and expectations before the Lord. Also not to compare with others, we are each fearfully and wonderfully made - unique! Sometimes I wish I were made a bit more artsy though!! Loved reading this today.

Sunny Shell said...

AMEN my beautiful and beloved sister! You go girl!!!

God made us all different and we can't look at others (like I said I did with Pam) and start to judge them. As long as we are all keeping God's priority our priority, ALL of our days may look different. We just need to be satisfied that we are following His plan w/o comparing.

I love you so much!!!

Laurie Ann said...

Awesome post! I loved your words of wisdom here, "One word I can offer to this subject is that as Christian women, we need to constantly lay our priorities and our expectations before the Lord. When those are out of balance, then everything else is too, schedule or no schedule."

The Scripture you shared was great, too, LauraLee.

Enjoyed your post and the wisdom and inspriation found in your words today.

Blessed Among Women said...

"Beware of earthly formulas that promise to help you have it all together. Just as you consult a physician before you start a certain medication, make sure you consult the Great Physician before you accept a prescription for fixing what's "wrong" with you in this area. What works for one family may not work for yours."

Wow, that was great! Thank you for your insight and words today! :)

Yvonne Blake said...

You've got a great attitude, humble and willing to learn. THat's all God asks of us.

My advice is to being willing to let God interrupt your plans, because He may have a wonderful blessing in store for you.

Love you, Dear

Joanne Sher said...

Excellent word, dear Laura. I'm actually starting a Bible study (later this week) with a friend on Balance. You have given me more to ponder for sure :)

Patty Wysong said...

You're so right--that focus is so important! On days when life is topsy-turvy that focus will keep you in step. Thanks, Laura! Great reminder for me!
Huggles!

momstheword said...

Absolutely. Why do we sometimes plow headstrong into our day without first asking the Lord for His wisdom? Also love the reminder about getting up early....that's a tough one sometimes, LOL!

Laury said...

Thank you for sharing these thoughts, Laura. I always learn so much about you and myself while reading your blog entries.

Love you so.